I’m a 5th-year Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Statistics and Operations Research (STOR) at UNC Chapel Hill. My research interests include statistical methods for networks, and computational genomics. My thesis work is under the advisement of Andrew B. Nobel and Shankar Bhamidi. Since May 2014, I have been part of a working group in the GTEX Project. I am part of the Probability Group at UNC.
Code and article information for the Continuous Configuration Model Extraction (CCME) method can be found here.
I blog at dots_on_a_page.
Submitted and on arXiv
- Aguet, Francois; …; Palowitch, John; Wright, Fred A.; GTEx Consortium; Lappalainen, Tulli; Ardlie, Kristin G.; Dermitzakis, Emmanouil T.; Brown, Christopher D.; Montgomery, Stephen D. “Local genetic effects of gene expression across 44 human tissues.” [submitted to Nature]
- Palowitch, John; Zhou, Yihui; Shabalin, Andrey; Zhou, Yihui; Nobel, Andrew B.; Wright, Fred A. “Estimation of Interpretable eQTL Effect Sizes Using a Log of Linear Model.” arXiv link
- Palowitch, John; Bhamidi, Shankar; Nobel, Andrew B. “The Continuous Configuration Model: A Null For Community Detection on Weighted Networks.” arXiv link / supplemental doc
- Jiang, Melei; Palowitch, John; Yu, Qunqun; Marron, J. S.; Haaland, Perry D. “Finding Community Subtypes in the Microbiome of the Infected Lower Lung.”
- Wilson, James D.; Palowitch, John, Bhamidi, Shankar; Nobel, Andrew B. “Significance Based Extraction in Multilayer Networks with Heterogeneous Community Structure” arXiv link
Conferences and Presentations
- SIAM NS17, July 13th-14th
- Conference on Statistical Learning and Data Science, June 6-8, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Stochastic Networks Conference, June 20-24, San Diego, CA.
- Joint Statistical Meetings, July 30-August 4, Chicago, IL.
- “The Continuous Configuration Model: Extracting Communities from Edge-Weighted Networks”, Triangle Area Graduate Mathematics Conference
- “Extracting Overlapping Communities from Weighted Networks”, JSM Contributed Sessions, Seattle WA, August 2015
- “Robust Effect Size Estimation for eQTL Analysis”, GTEx AWG Meeting, Chicago IL, June 2015
- “Multi-Tissue eQTL Detection”, GTEx AWG Meeting, Washington D.C., December 2014
- “Object-Oriented Data Analysis (OODA) Approach to Microbiome Data” (contributed poster), ISMB 2014, July 201
- Winner of the Duke Datahon (sponsored by Citadel, Citadel Securities, and Correlation One)
- SSPA/Monsanto Student Grant, 2015